Spring is an intriguing time of year. It seems that the rocky mountain region is the battle ground for a never-ending war between winter and summer. In the morning we are wearing shorts and mowing the lawn, and in the afternoon its snowing. I guess that's why May is my favorite month of the year (And not just because my birthday suit was first worn many years ago in this lovely month). I just love the diversity of available activities, the blooming of the plants and flowers, the start of the outdoor concert season and the general drastic weather changes. For example, Saturday Debi, Steve and I were mountain biking in 70° weather, and by Tuesday enough new snow had fallen to head up and make a few turns.
So that's exactly what I did. As soon as the bell chimed 5pm I clocked out and sped up to Alta to sample the fresh. By 6 o'clock I had assembled my gear and had arrived at the parking lot. I wasn't sure exactly where I wanted to go so I just followed and existing skin track. Lucky somebody else did all the hard work for me. I followed this other lone wolf for a little while. It's good to have somebody else set the pace for me otherwise I burn all my energy to quick.
7" had fallen and most of it appeared to look like Dippin' Dots. Good ole graupel snow. And fairly dry considering the warm temperature we've had. Below the new snow it was a little mushy so I thought I'd play it safe since I was by myself. Below is a picture of my up and down line. I discovered a fancy new app on my iphone that tracks my route and exports it to Google Earth. I headed toward the top of the Wildcat lift at Alta on the ridge bordering Snowbird. Since the resort was closed for the season it was nothing but wide open fresh tracks. It felt super smooth and bottomless.
My line started on what was called the Baldy Shoulder. Mt Baldy was just up the ridge from that point. A few guys just ahead of me summited the peak and dropped into the long chute you can see coming off the top of it. They said it was phenomenal. I'll admit I was a little jealous but considering the conditions my line was the perfect end to the workday.

No comments:
Post a Comment