This year has smiled upon the music community. Here are my top 3 albums of 2009. My #1 and 2 finalists were pretty hard to decide between but in the end I think I made the right choice.
This is probably the most solid album I've purchased this year. This album has spent probably the most time out of any CD in my car this year. For the Volta it's probably the closest thing they'll ever make to an acoustic album. For their mellowest album to date, they still never cease to amaze me. None of their albums sound the same, which is great because each new album is always a wild card. You never know what you are going to get but they keep delivering great progressive music time after time.
Listen to Teflon by The Mars Volta
#2
This album starts off with a solo of the mellow sound of the late Leroi Moore's sax as a tribute to a very influential member of the band. This is immediately followed by the funkalicious Shake Me Like A Monkey which I've caught myself dancing to more than once without realizing it. Brings back good memories of the Vegas shows earlier this year. Although the album slows a little bit at one section of the album, it's definitely worth the buy. I even used the last song on the album You & Me as part of my wedding music last September.
Listen to Shake Me Like A Monkey by DMB
#3
The Show by Yonder Mountain String Band
(2009)
The Show is probably one of the most accessible albums by the Colorado prog bluegrass quartet. It probably has some of the catchiest collection of song that possibly even non-bluegrass listeners could enjoy. It might help as well that for the studio albums they've started infusing drums. An old live show favorite Steep Grades, Sharp Curves even makes its studio debut here. I always look forward to anything they fellow Coloradoans can dish out.
Listen to Complicated by Yonder Mountain
Some 2009 Notable Mentions:
Give Up The Ghost by Brandi Carlile
Cosmic Egg by Wolfmother
Joy by Phish



1 comment:
hurray!
Post a Comment